Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Thursday, May 7, 1863


On inquiry I find that a package of letters has been received by Mary Gates, which were not to be returned except in case of his death --I don’t wonder they all feel alarmed and distressed-- But somehow I can’t help believing he is alive & have tried to inspire Lucy with the same confidence.

Peggy's comments:
The previous week when Rufus was about to enter battle, he put Mary Gates' letters in an envelope, instructing his friend Dr. Preston to hold the envelope safe for him, unless he were killed in battle and if so, Dr. Preston was to mail the envelope.  Rufus had enclosed the following letter to Mary in the envelope:

April 28, 1863
We are advancing upon the enemy.  I doubt not we must have a desperate battle.  I leave this where I have perfect confidence that it will be sent to you in case I am killed and only in that event.   
I loved you dearly, sincerely, and I am sure my dying prayer will be that God will bless you always and make you happy.  I don't believe you will ever think lightly of the love of a man who, if he had no other merits, gave his life freely for his country and the right.          Rufus R. Dawes




No comments:

Post a Comment