Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Friday, Oct. 10, 1862

I have been looking over old papers & find some that are curious & interesting -- one written to my Grandmother Parker during the Revolutionary War.  She had been removed from Newburyport to Brown's Gardens for greater safety, & there her son William was born July 4th 1775.  It is dated at Glocester Monday morning noon & night from perpetual interruptions May 22".
My dear cousin,  why this remissness in writing to me, when I have so anxiously desired to hear from you.  I don't imagine that your regard falters in the least, but rather impute your silence to the tumult of the times.  Sometimes I think you are retired so far back that you have not opportunity to write.  But let me tell you, my dear, that not the remotest distance will ever put a period to my regard for you & yours.  I can't say with propriety, that I have been one day free from care and anxiety since you left me.  The loss of my little cousin Nancy Collings and my brother Nathl and John's joining the army and in short everything conspires to make me uneasy -- Your Uncles company left this town last Tuesday -- My brother rode on horseback together with twenty gentlemen that waited on him as far as Manchester where they treated the officers and soldiers in the best manner and left them -- I have since heard they are safely arrived at Head Quarters in Cambridge in good spirits.  I am very anxious about them and have many a gloomy thought., but my dear the providence of God's universal & over all his works --  Why should I be uneasy when the great Savior of the Universe has vouchedsafe to be their guard if they put their trust in Him.  O:  that they might put their trust in Him & not in an arm of flesh -- May He give them wisdom, courage, and intrepedity to act in so great an undertaking.  Tis an innocent cause -- The God of Nature teaches us to stand in defence of our lives and liberties.  Truly 'tis a shocking thing to take the life of one fellow creature, and for Christians to make war against one another, but I verily believe the Blood that is shed in this war will be required at the hands of wicked ministry -- How many lives will be thrown away in this unhappy quarrel that might have been useful to society & blessings to their families and friends -- I heartily sympathise with every person that has friends in the army -- my heart overflows with sorrow for them all -- but more particularly for our own friends.  These ties of Nature and a tender heart are almost too much for me -- our family is here at present and will tarry as long as we can with safety.  My father has spoke for part of a house at Gebacco as far up as Revd Mr. Cleveland's about eight miles from the Harbor.  Some of our goods are there. We have talked much of going to Haveril but I hope we shall not be obliged to leave this old Mansion house yet awhile.

The lady who wrote this letter was Sukey Warner she afterwards married Dr. Cotton Tufts -- She was Aunt to my Grandmother although she addresses her as "My dear cousin" -- The letter takes us back near an hundred years -- and the state of things described is not very unlike that which now exists.  The parting of friends going to war -- the fleeing of families from their homes for safety the looking up to God for help -- the confidence in the justice of our cause -- are all what we daily hear of or see.

Lucy came down.  The cars were late.  Fighting in Kentucky between Buell and Bragg, at Perrysburg.  Rainy.  William speaks in Salem tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment