Monday, May 5, 2014

Thursday, May 5, 1864

Mrs. Dawes & I went to the “Perkins House” to see Mrs. Cone & her daughters they all seem very much prostrated by the care and sorrow attending the death of Mr. Cone.  I think they are comfortably established there.  They are going into the cultivation of onions.  I hope they may make it profitable.  Sarah Eliza Cone (who went last year to her father Geo. W. Cone in California) has married there.  Her husband’s name is Payne.  He is a machinist from New England.
I also called on Mrs. D. Tenney.  She was very pleasant and showed me many rare shells & curiosities.  Her garden and pit have many rare and pretty things.  Some of them were from our own garden.
Late letters from Ephe state that he was to leave Scotsboro Ala. for Chattanooga in light marching order--they do not know where they are to go next.  He is under Logan, 4th Division 15” Army Corps.  

I went shopping with Lucy--met Mrs. Ralston & Mrs. David Putnam.

No comments:

Post a Comment